Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Complications CD13

I can't believe it has been 2 weeks since the miscarriage. Time does fly.

My recovery seemed to be on track until last Thursday when everything went pear-shaped.

In the early afternoon when I went to the restroom I noticed my body was trying to pass some more tissue, and that it appeared to be "stuck". I went into a total panic and called M to come and get me from work and take me to the ER.

When I got to the RBH they saw me straight away, I had an internal and abdominal ultrasound done and they confirmed that I had some retained tissue. I think it was like a membranous tissue. Thankfully it was sitting on my cervix waiting to be passed, and not still attached to my uterus. The doctor there tried to remove it manually with some forceps. I am still horrified to think of that! It wasn't actually painful, just a horrific position to be in. And she was so clumsy...... my god. I thought if I got out alive and with my reproductive capabilities intact it would be a miracle!! She got some of the tissue out but not all. I was discharged later that night under the condition that I would see my OB the following day.

Saw my OB Friday afternoon. He removed the rest of the tissue in the same fashion (more horror!!!). He also thought I had an infection and prescribed Augmentin Duo Forte and Metronide 400 which I am to take for 10 and 14 days respectively. I got the prescription filled at the chemist near his surgery and would have swallowed the first lot of tablets then and there had they not needed to be taken with food, such was my fear of the infection. Friday night I felt seriously depressed and worried about the infection - what if it really did affect my future fertility? Luckily the doctor sent the tissue off for analysis so we can be sure I am on the correct antibiotics. Oh, and the doctor said my uterus had not yet contracted back to its normal size.

Of course all of this had me really second guessing my decision to have a natural miscarriage. You know what they say about hindsight being 20/20.... Anyway, I did a bit of web-surfing on "infection after miscarriage" and a lot of the stories actually related to infections after D&C, so I guess there's no way to know whether this same thing may have happened had I have had the D&C. Where I sit now I am still glad that I had the natural miscarriage... call me crazy...

My bleeding had been fairly light and continued to be up until Friday night. Since then it has been practically non-existent. Just brownish spotting/staining. I have had a few drops of red spotting every day still though. It is down to once a day and always within an hour of me telling M that I haven't bled yet today. (He says I jinx myself). The latest was earlier this morning. I am just looking forward to a time when I am no longer bleeding!!

We did end up making love a couple of nights ago... I couldn't stand the celibacy any longer! We used a condom... but it was nice to lie around naked together afterwards.

I have my next OB appointment tomorrow afternoon so hoping for the good news that my uterus has contracted down. Feeling a little despondent and not holding my breath for good news, nothing else seems to be going right so far...

I also hope the infection has cleared, but I'm not sure how I'd know given that I didn't have any fever or pain. The results of the tissue culture were a small Strep C infection. The doctor thinks the antibiotics I am on should be effective in treating it.

Good O. I just want it to be O V E R. I am tired of this miscarriage!!!

Thanks everyone who has stopped by to read my blog. I hope you have gotten something out of it. I hope my experience has not scared anyone off!! I don't think there's ever an easy way to miscarry but all in all I do not think my experience has been too bad. I will continue to post until this is well and truly finished. Take care and all the best.

1 comment:

susan said...

Thanks so much for telling your tale. I'm currently 9w4d but was diagnosed with a blighted ovum at 7w. I chose to wait it out for now and having some insight into what may be to come is invaluable. Thanks!